Projects · sewing

Sewtropolis Signature Quilt

2019 was all about finishing up some of my many UFOs (UnFinished Objects)… including the Sewtropolis Signature Quilt.  I started this quilt about a year before I closed my store… not knowing at the time that I would be closing.   It was intended to hang in the studio portion and I thought it would be a fun way to have my customers assist in a quilt.  There are 100 signatures most from the kids who took my summer sewing camps, but also from my adult students, employees and customers. img_7006.jpeg

I managed to put the top together and that’s about the time I realized I needed to close my store…  and this project and so many others went into the UFO basket for the time being.

So here it is six years and a cross-county move later and I’m finally tackling that that UFO basket.   All I had to do to finish this quilt was to quilt and bind it so I waited till I had a few tops to quilt before reserving time on the long-arm.  After quilting the first two with no issue, I loaded this one and started doing my thing… and about 3/4 of the way into it I realized that the backing had somehow creased and was getting worse as I went along.

IMG_7018

I can “live” with a lot of mistakes, but this crease was not one of them.  I took it off the machine, brought it home and took out most of what I had done.  To be honest with you – I had heard of people doing this and thought to myself NO WAY would I ever do this  – I don’t mind a mistake or a few, I think they give a quilt character – but this crease was in a league of its own!

Once I was done unstitching, I re-quilted it on my home machine, putting a heart in each of the blocks, and a wavy pattern on the boarder – which is kind of a metaphor for my business:  I loved my customers, but it was definitely a crazy ride!!!

Overall I’m really happy with how this quilt turned out – I loved seeing the signatures of the gals that worked for me (miss you ladies), the signatures of the camp kids – some who were seriously SO MUCH FUN, and I even teared up when I saw Skilo’s block.. God, I miss that dog!!!

IMG_7008

Eventually I will pick off all the stray threads, but for now they are a reminder of the difficulty of my owning my own business and of finishing this quilt.

Happy Sewing

 

Projects

Sewing a Bra – Take 2

I did it!  I made a wearable bra!  image

It might look just like the bra I made before, but this one fits!  I used the same fabric for the main part, but a different fabric for the lining.

image

And I used the lining fabric from the first bra for the back pieces on this second bra.  Much better use for that fabric. I have way more stretch, which allows this bra to actually fit!

image

Lessons learned with this bra:  1.  I should use different fabric for the main piece.  The fabric that I used is a little stiff.  Definitely not made for bras.  2.  The wires need to be larger.  I ended up ordering wires that were not the correct size or shape so I used the wires out of an old bra.  Even those were a little short and moves around a bit in the casing.  Not too much, but I’d rather they not move at all.  3.  I definitely like the way this bra ‘perks’ up my silhouette – I’ve worn it all week just because it feels so much nicer to have everyone in their place!

Best part:  it was a quick sew!  I made this one in about 2 hours!  Not bad, huh?  I’ll definitely be making more!

 

 

Projects

Rainy Day Project: Number 1

I may have mentioned that when I left Minnesota I sold or gave away about 95% of my stuff…. including all my furniture!  The only thing I decided to keep was my bed frame which is a work of art – literally.  But, more on that later.

I love my apartment, the location was a huge seller for me (walkable neighborhood), next were the amenities (gym, roof top deck, lounge area both upstairs and downstairs), my balcony view of downtown is awesome and it’s a ‘green’ building which means no more $300 winter gas bills!  However, the one thing I don’t really care for – is all the dark brown in my apartment!   Brown bamboo floor in the kitchen, brown carpet in the living room and bedroom, dark brown cupboards – it’s too much brown.

After I moved in I searched Craig’s List and found a nice red couch – which I think adds a nice pop of color in this mist of brown.  But the couch needed pillows so over this past rainy weekend I sewed up these cute pillows:

 

Pillows

I cut up some of my blue scraps into 2.5″ squares and sewed them all together to make these 20″ pillows!  I don’t have a picture of the back, but the fabric is a decor weight blue fabric that I had picked up a few years ago and never used.

IMG_6299

Each pillow is an envelope style pillow since I didn’t have 2 zippers that were long enough…. (and I put myself on a strict “No More Stuff” diet until I use up ‘most’ of what I have).  I backed the quilted size with batting and scraps from a vintage sheet (which was used in a “finish it or donate it” project)

I really like the way these pillows add more pop to my apartment.  At this point I’m still trying to decide how to decorate my place, but given my love for the color aqua I know these pillows will go with whatever I decide.  By the way, the photos don’t do my couch justice… it’s more orange/red – less brown/red.

Happy Sewing