So I did this thing, I wasn’t planning on doing it, but once I started I found myself on a roll and unable to stop.
What did I do? Welllll, it started with ripping the carpet out of my bedroom. It was this icky lavender color that I had to clean every 6 months because the dogs were constantly tracking in stuff on their paws. It was gross and it had to go, so I tore it up! And I felt much better.
My intention after I got all the carpet out was to maybe throw some rugs down until I figure out what kind of permanent flooring I wanted…. and then I though, maybe I should paint the floor because it was bare wood and already I was getting little slivers in my hands and feet from crawling around on it while tearing up the carpet. But then I thought – if I’m going to paint it I should do something fun … like that time I painted a mandala on my deck.
But then I thought – why don’t I try painting a mural – I’ve always wanted to do a big mural on my walls, but have been too chicken to do it. On the floor though I thought ‘what’s the worse thing that could happen?? I don’t like it and I cover it up with rugs (my original idea) until I decide on longterm flooring?” and just like that I decided to paint a mural on my floor!
I started by finding an inspiration image on Pinterest, then picked out my colors, and painting supplies from Home Depot. When I got home I prepped the floor with two coats of primer. Once that dried I marked where the flowers should be and began with painting the background (aqua) first.
I then added white for the flowers, and one at a time, I added the different layers (detail) of the flowers. I usually had to wait a few hours for the paint to dry between adding layers, so all told it took me about 3 days to paint the floor and another 2 days to apply the 3 coats of polyurethane.
But I couldn’t stop there…. now that I had this beautiful floor I wanted the rest of my room to be just as beautiful. So I took EVERYTHING out, got more paint and started painting the walls, baseboard, and trim. I used the same color palette that I used in the mural … creating an accent wall with the crazy mustard color used in the center of the flowers. I’m glad I took that plunge… I really love it. My closet wasn’t very efficient, so I tore out the bar and shelf, and installed a new closet system with 3 bars and a shelving system. I was going to paint the closet doors, but decided to install mirrored doors instead to save wall space from a hanging mirror.
The walls turned out a little darker than I had hoped so I decided to make white curtains to ‘brighten’ the room up a little bit. I lined them with blackout fabric because in the summer the afternoon sun beats through the window and heats the room up like nobody’s business.
Finally, I switched out the ceiling light, painted my side tables, and signed my artwork.
I’m really happy with my bedroom makeover! I’m glad I took the risk and painted a mural on the floor – its definitely the prettiest DIY home improvement project I’ve ever done.