Projects · sewing

Let’s Talk Business Suits

I made my first business suit this year.  I used Butterick 6142 for the jacket and Simplicity 8056 for the pants.  I usually purchase McCall patterns and know what modifications I need to make to get those patterns to fit correctly.  I made the same modifications on both the Simplicity and Butterick pattern and seemed to get the fit close – but not quite right.

a%9oBNgERJmDhKEm0sBZHQ

I did make a muslin of the jacket and decided to go down a size based on the fit of that muslin.  But, the jacket still doesn’t fit quite right in the shoulder area.  I heard on one of my sewing podcast that a lot of people have fitting issues in the shoulder area due to our bad habit of hunching over our computers and phones.  Good to know for future projects!

7rJiMDTaTeGMwA3mbuEDmw

I didn’t make a muslin for the pants, but I did make my usual modifications and cut the size I normally wear for McCall patterns… and ended up with pants that are a  size too small.  I can still wear them, but at the end of the day I can’t wait to take them off!  (I’m not one for tight fitting clothes).

fullsizeoutput_822

I purchased the fabric for the suit at JoAnn Fabric… the good thing is I didn’t spend a lot on it, so I am considering this outfit my ‘wearable muslin’.  This weekend I’ll be making a trip down to Portland with plans to stop in at a fabric store known for its large selection of fabrics.  I’ll be on the look out for some nice suiting fabric for a fall/winter suit.  Wish me luck!

I wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July!

Nikol

 

Adventures · sewing

Starting with the last thing I made…

I tend to go in and out of this blogging thing.  For years I used to keep a journal, and even with that there were times I was more consistent than others.  Now that I’ve challenged myself to sew my clothes for 2018, I thought I would blog my makes as a way to remind myself of what I did and any modifications etc. End of June seems like a good time to start doing that!  HA!!

So, this top isn’t the last thing I made… but it’s the thing I’ve been the most happy with and that’s saying a lot since I’ve been really happy with my makes lately.  (finally!)

fullsizeoutput_8ce

I think this makes me so happy is because it reminds me of my Memorial Day weekend in  Victoria, B.C. with my friend Jennifer.  We had to much fun!

s7ugoZVJRea%eI6rk8g1qQ

While in Victoria we did our own walking tour of the downtown area, stopping in to see the Empress Hotel, Totum poles and even walking along the waters edge – before heading out for a whale watching tour.

J%VJnHAoTnqOlYILYn1eNA

Whale watching was amazing!  We saw 3 humpback whales, two adults and one younger.  They bobbed along and once in a while we would see a tail come up out of the water – which was very exciting – but not as exciting as seeing them breach!  (photo taken using my iPhone7+)

fullsizeoutput_8a6

The next day we walked around Buchart Gardens (amazingly beautiful) and visted the China town district.

HXpDgCwlRlWOnCKILiHDNA

And afterwards did a little shopping at Fabric Land where I purchased this beautiful aqua and black  polyester crepe fabric.

fullsizeoutput_8cd

Of course I had no idea what I would make with it, but it was just too pretty to pass up.  I purchased  two meters of it thinking it would be enough to make a top of some sort.

After I got back I decided to make Simplicity 8138,  mainly because I already had the pattern in my stash, and I really wanted to sew something I could wear during the warmer weather we were having at the time.

fullsizeoutput_8cf

I combined view B and view C.  I liked the ties, but not the slit on the sides of view B.  And I liked the flare of view C.  I’m really happy with the way it turned out and I didn’t have any modifications other than my standard lengthening.  I’ve worn it a couple of times in the past few weeks and each time it reminds me of that weekend in Victoria.  Good times,  Good times.

Till next time!

N

 

Projects

Rainy Day Project: Number 1

I may have mentioned that when I left Minnesota I sold or gave away about 95% of my stuff…. including all my furniture!  The only thing I decided to keep was my bed frame which is a work of art – literally.  But, more on that later.

I love my apartment, the location was a huge seller for me (walkable neighborhood), next were the amenities (gym, roof top deck, lounge area both upstairs and downstairs), my balcony view of downtown is awesome and it’s a ‘green’ building which means no more $300 winter gas bills!  However, the one thing I don’t really care for – is all the dark brown in my apartment!   Brown bamboo floor in the kitchen, brown carpet in the living room and bedroom, dark brown cupboards – it’s too much brown.

After I moved in I searched Craig’s List and found a nice red couch – which I think adds a nice pop of color in this mist of brown.  But the couch needed pillows so over this past rainy weekend I sewed up these cute pillows:

 

Pillows

I cut up some of my blue scraps into 2.5″ squares and sewed them all together to make these 20″ pillows!  I don’t have a picture of the back, but the fabric is a decor weight blue fabric that I had picked up a few years ago and never used.

IMG_6299

Each pillow is an envelope style pillow since I didn’t have 2 zippers that were long enough…. (and I put myself on a strict “No More Stuff” diet until I use up ‘most’ of what I have).  I backed the quilted size with batting and scraps from a vintage sheet (which was used in a “finish it or donate it” project)

I really like the way these pillows add more pop to my apartment.  At this point I’m still trying to decide how to decorate my place, but given my love for the color aqua I know these pillows will go with whatever I decide.  By the way, the photos don’t do my couch justice… it’s more orange/red – less brown/red.

Happy Sewing